24 January 2011

Delicious Mango Jam


A while ago I borrowed a book from a friend called "A year in a bottle - Sally Wise" . It is a great book full of recipes and tips to create your own jams, jellies, pickles, relishes and chutneys, and it inspired me to try and make some mango jam. There wasn't a recipe for mango jam, but I thought what the heck, it can't be that difficult and different from say apricot jam? Not that I have ever made apricot jam in my life - or any kind of jam for that matter. A bit ambitious I say! This is what I came up with and if I must be honest, it is really good - and my guineapigs also approved!

How to cut a mango












EXOTIC MANGO JAM

10 ripe fresh mangoes
1 cup (250ml) white sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) fresh lemon juice
1 cup (250ml) water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

I use the sweet ripe, fibreless mangoes from one of our trees. Cut them in chunks (see above - this is the easiest way to cut a mango). You can use the frozen store bought ones, but then you might have to add a bit more sugar as they tend to be less sweet.
Put the mango, sugar, lemon juice and water into a casserole (pot) over medium heat.
Stir the mixture till all the sugar has melted.
Turn down the heat and let the mangoes simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
The mangoes will be nice and soft by now and will break down when you stir them.
Add two cinnamon sticks (break in half) to the mangoes and a table spoon of cinnamon.
Let simmer for a further 10 minutes. If you like your jam smooth, you can use a stick blender at this stage, but if you like it more coarse, you can leave it as is.

If you are going to eat the jam straight away, you can put it in a container and refrigerate it. If you want to save some for another day or to give away (you might not once you tasted your jam) you can put it in sterilised jars.

To sterilise the jar, I first wash it with soapy water, then I rinse and dry it before I put the cold jar in the oven. I turn the oven to 110 degrees celcius and once the oven has reached the temperature, I turn it off and let the jar cool slightly.

I let the jam cool slightly (still hot, but not boiling), take out the cinnamon sticks, and then pour the hot jam into the hot jar and seal. You can add a new whole cinnamon stick to the jar before sealing. The cinnamon really gives it a lovely taste.
It should last up to six months in a cool, dry place.

Makes about a litre of mango jam

Mine is going fast - I will have to make another batch soon!

Enjoy

Delicious Mango Jam



2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this mango widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about mango recipes,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.
    WhatsApp number : +2348132777335
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Thank you all for reading,
    God bless"

    ReplyDelete